Thursday, May 26, 2011

Hey I Know That Dude!

Grey Knights are the new pink. They are the new Space Marines. They have the focus and power level of a specialized army, and the lack of diversity that I've been hoping new Space Marine armies will lean towards!

I've had the army for years (since Codex: Daemonhunters was released) and until now it's been completely disappointing. I refused to use their mini henchmen units to supplement my Imperial Guard army. I refused to use their codex to build a stand-alone army list. I don't like paying 275+ points for a Land Raider and putting all my eggs in one basket. I didn't like relying on dreadnoughts for my heavy support. I just hated using every ounce of that army... okay, so I didn't mind paying 275 points for a Grand Master and having him ride around in an empty Chimera...

With the new Codex: Grey Knights I see nothing but possibilities for fresh, new army lists and ways to potentially abuse the book's balance inequities. Heck, I didn't even have to look over the codex very thoroughly to find some shining, evil gems.

I've come up with the following 2000 point list, and while it slightly resembles a few other lists floating around out there, I think it has a lot of merit.

Inquisitor Coteaz

Librarian (mastery level 3, master-crafted nemesis force halberd, digital weapons, might of titan, quicksilver, the shrouding, vortex of doom, warp rift)

Inquisitorial Henchmen #1 (5x jokaero, chimera)
Inquisitorial Henchmen #2 (5x jokaero, chimera)
Inquisitorial Henchmen #3 (5x jokaero, chimera)
Inquisitorial Henchmen #4 (3x warrior acolyte, 2x meltagun, rhino)
Inquisitorial Henchmen #5 (3x warrior acolyte, 2x meltagun, rhino)
Inquisitorial Henchmen #6 (3x warrior acolyte, 2x meltagun, rhino)
Inquisitorial Henchmen #7 (3x warrior acolyte, 2x meltagun, rhino)
Inquisitorial Henchmen #8 (3x warrior acolyte, 2x flamer, rhino)
Inquisitorial Henchmen #9 (9x death cult assassin, rhino)
Dreadnought (2x twin-linked autocannon, psybolt ammunition)
Techmarine (rad grenades, pychotroke grenades, meltabombs)
Purifiers (5x purifiers, 2x psycannon, rhino)

Of course the legality of the list depends on an upcoming GW FAQ which will most likely determine that the number of Inquisitorial Henchmen units Coteaz allows is limited to the number of troop slots on the force org chart. But for the time being, I think it's completely legitimate! Realistically speaking I will probably convert the excess henchmen units into another unit of Purifiers.

The army basically functions in the same fashion as an IG force: sit there and blast things from a distance, then blast things from close up, then roll over everything with a massive number of flame templates. Finally, if there's anything the firepower can't handle, then certainly the Librarian, Assassins, Techmarine and Purifiers will mop up what's left. The defensive aspect of the list is a simple combination of vehicles providing cover to other vehicles, The Shrouding providing +1 to their cover saves, and the Dreadnought warding off psychic attacks in combination with the Librarian's psychic hood. If Daemons are in play, then Coteaz can sit with the purifiers in the open in order to use "I've Been Expecting You."

No comments:

Post a Comment